Thankfully, the homeowner and family were not injured in the fire though they suffered the loss of their residence and possessions.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (http://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics), approximately 366,900 residential building fires are reported in the United States each year and cause an estimated 2,465 deaths, 13,400 injuries and $7 billion in property loss.
Residential building fires occur most frequently in the cooler months, peaking in January. Cooking fires account for the largest number of house fires, followed by heating and electrical malfunction. In other words, something too hot got too close to something flammable. Whether it's a pan of bacon left unattended, an electrical heater or an overloaded circuit, the results can be life-threatening.
The home on this project sustained major damage as evidenced by smoke and fire damage in the attic (pictured above). By coincidence, while inspecting this home and laying out the new electrical system for this home, we heard fire engine sirens. As we were leaving, we observed another home a block away on fire with firefighters in full gear battling the flames!
CWC Electric, LLC is owned by a retired firefighter who has witnessed the tragedy of residential fires personally. We urge all of our family, friends and clients to please test your smoke alarms monthly at a minimum and to change the batteries semi-annually!
If you need smoke/carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, please contact CWC Electric, LLC at 785-215-8775 for a personal estimate.